Monday, July 15, 2013

It's not you. It's me.

Since last week, I was bound and determined to find out the who/what/where and why's to why my sweet little boy was starting to act the opposite. So, I hopped on the interweb and searched "toddler tantrums" until my fingers fell off and my eyes went cross-eyed and this is what I came up with...

Angry, frustrated, and sulking children ALWAYS need their parents’ or caregivers’ help and understanding. 
When children are acting out, caregivers can assume the following:
  • They are doing their best.
  • They are acting out their hurt feelings that they don’t yet have the skills to manage.
  • This is their way of showing you how they feel or how they have been made feel by you or others.
  • They need you to teach them what they can do about their big, often overwhelming feelings. They need you to make them feel safe and loved so they can get their big feelings out with big tears and/or words, and show you how they feel.
  • Their acting out is symptomatic of unmet needs.
  • They need your love the most when they act the least deserving of it.
  • They need your help to feel happy, peaceful and balanced again.
  • They need to regain a warm, loving connection with you again.
  • They would be more co-operative with you if they regained that warm kind connection.

I also found this brilliant website that spoke straight to my heart.  I am new at this and I am always researching to understand the different ways we can handle our children. Honestly, spanking or time out DOES NOT work for my son and because of that I vowed to stop doing it. It didn't feel right in my heart and I would feel SO GUILTY afterwards. With that being said, both of these sites talk about a different way to parent. To me it seems like a guilt-free way to parent so I am all about it. For the record, I haven't had the chance to try these recommendations out but when I do, you all will be the first to know. To me, it feels right and it makes me breathe a little easier at the thought of not having to be so forceful with my son. Janet Lansbury's site is awesome and I could of stayed on there all night reading her articles. Please check her out!


GREAT CHART!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment